Large, commercial construction or renovation projects require careful consideration of the products used. Comparing associated costs, both up-front and over time, as well as the look and feel of the materials, the ease of maintenance, and other things, can all help you feel more comfortable in your choices. Is engineered wood siding right for your commercial project? Take a look at the benefits.
What is Engineered Wood Siding?
Traditional wood siding is made from long planks of wood. The engineered wood siding looks just like the real thing, but the planks are made from various materials processed together. The wood chips, fibers, and resins used make a product just as beautiful as siding made from solid wood. The choice of materials and processes used to create the engineered wood vary by manufacturer.
Benefits of Engineered Wood for Commercial Projects
While some commercial builders will prefer real wood siding, there are many benefits to choosing an engineered wood siding product instead.
- Cost-effective: compared to traditional wood siding, engineered wood is often cheaper – especially for larger commercial projects where a substantial amount of material may be needed
- Durable: due to the carefully designed mix of wood, fibers, and resin, engineered wood is resistant to mold, mildew, and fungus and extreme heat and cold
- Less maintenance required: any siding will need care, but that required for engineered wood is much less than for traditional wood that usually needs regular painting or staining
- Longer lifespan: most engineered wood choices have a lifespan of 20 to 30 years
- Sustainable: LP SmartSide engineered wood siding is made of a renewable resource that is sustainably harvested under the stringent standards of the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) – because this siding lasts longer than traditional wood and does not have to be replaced as often, it can reduce the need for additional wood products in the future
- Faster installation: engineered wood siding is designed in larger sections or planks, making it faster to install – it can also come pre-primed or pre-painted, which also cuts down on installation time
- Natural wood look: other affordable siding options, like aluminum or vinyl, are less durable but also don’t provide the same beautiful look of real would like engineered wood siding can
Northway Commercial Roofing and Construction can help you decide if engineered wood siding is the most beneficial for your project. Contact us today and schedule a quote to learn more about your options.